Colombian gastronomy is a tapestry of rich and diverse flavors, with each region boasting its culinary treasures. Along the country’s picturesque Caribbean coast, one dish stands out as a true emblem of local taste and tradition – Mote de Queso.
Mote de Queso, the name itself conjures images of the Colombian coast: sunny beaches, swaying palm trees, and the vibrant rhythms of Vallenato music. This delightful Caribbean cheese soup, prepared with 2 pounds of costeño cheese and 4 pounds of yam, transports your taste buds on a journey to Colombia’s coastal paradise.
For those eager to embark on this flavorful adventure, here’s a step-by-step guide to crafting this exquisite Colombian dish. Be sure to pay close attention to the ingredient quantities for an authentic experience:
- 1/2 pound of white onion.
- 7 cloves of garlic.
- Salt to taste.
- 50 grams of butter.
- 1 splash of oil.
- 2 pounds of coastal cheese.
- 4 pounds of yams.
- 1/2 pound of chives or onion sprigs.
- 300 grams of coastal whey.
- 1/2 pound of red onion.
- 7 bleo (rose cactus) leaves
- Begin by boiling water in a large pot. While the water heats up, peel and thoroughly wash half of the yam. Cut the yam into small, 1 cm x 1 cm cubes. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, add the yam cubes to the pot.
- While the yam simmers for an hour, you can prepare the aromatic base of the soup. Chop the garlic and white onions finely.
- After about an hour of cooking, the yam will start to foam. This is a sign that it’s ready. After 30 more minutes, gently mash the yam using the sides of the pot.
- Next, chop the costeño cheese into bite-sized cubes. In a separate frying pan, heat a drizzle of oil and melt the 50 grams of butter. Add the chopped onions and, finally, the garlic.
- Approximately 45 minutes into boiling the yam, introduce the sautéed mixture into the pot. Stir vigorously, adding the cheese cubes and bleo leaves.
- Finally, incorporate coastal whey and season with salt to taste. Your mote de queso is now ready to be savored.
With its creamy cheese, tender yam, and aromatic seasoning, this mote de queso recipe encapsulates the essence of Colombian coastal cuisine. A taste of the Caribbean that tantalizes the senses, it’s a dish that invites you to savor the warmth and hospitality of Colombia’s coastal culture.